How To: Use WRE v1.7
- Inserting Data
- Choose your Basic Layout Options
- Customizing your Wind Rose Diagram
- Exporting your Wind Rose Diagram
1. Inserting Data
- Open WRE v1.7 (ensure that macros have been enabled).
- Open your files containing your wind speed and wind direction data.
- Note: your wind speed data needs to cover time period of at least one year. I would suggest aiming for approximately 10 years of wind speed data.
- Copy your two columns of wind speed data: the first column should contain wind speed your second column should contain wind direction.
- Note: wind speed can be in m/s, mph, kph or knots. Wind direction can be in degrees or cardinal wind direction (N, NNE NE etc.).
- Tip: If you select the first 2 cells in your wind data columns, simply press control, shift and press the down arrow to select all the data in those 2 columns.
- Copy the data into the data into the start worksheet in WRE v1.7.
- Note: It is best to paste just the values – not the formatting also.
- Select the wind speed units which correspond to the data you have used.
- Update the rose diagram in WRE by clicking the “Update Wind Rose” button.
2. Choose your Basic Layout Options
- You should now decide on the following:
- Rose Diagram Title.
- Rose Diagram Subtitle.
- Number of Spokes (8 or 16).
- Number of Bins (6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or Beaufort scale).
- Number of decimal places used in your wind speed legend on your chart.
- The gap between each spoke (no gap, narrow or wide).
- Next click the “Create” button.
3. Customizing your Wind Rose Diagram
- You will now be directed to the customise tab, where you will be able to edit:
- Positioning of different objects within you chart, e.g. titles and legend.
- Add / remove spoke guide.
- Add / remove subtitle.
- Add / remove legend title.
- Add / remove timestamp.
- Add / remove mean wind speed.
- Add / remove prevailing wind direction information.
- Add / remove Wind Rose Excel software logo.
- You can adjust the position of the objects in the chart, the fonts and the text colours.
4. Exporting your Wind Rose Diagram
- Option 1 – Copy your wind rose diagram as a ‘Microsoft Chart’:
- Select the outer border of your wind rose diagram, copy and then paste your chart into a word doc, Microsoft PPT etc.
- This will enable you to resize and edit you chart without losing definition.
- Option 2 – Use WRE v.1.7 to turn your chart into a high definition image:
- Within the ‘Customize’ tab click the ‘Publish’ button.
- This will create an image of your chart, which prevents any unwanted tampering in the future.